Today is Pancake Day originally known as Shrove Tuesday, a day of indulgence that precedes Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Neither of us is particularly religious but we both always looked forward to this day at school because we got to feast on pancakes and douse them in maple syrup. And clearly our excitement for the day has kept going!
Today we have decided to give you a healthy pancake recipe with some fun topping options so you can eat and have it not be a cheat.
1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ skimmed milk
½ cup water
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon buter
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, eggs, skimmed milk & salt
- Gradually add in water & butter and keep stirring until you mixture becomes a smooth liquid – make sure your batter is has no lumps of flour or butter so your pancake doesn’t burn on the pan
- Lightly grease the pan and put it over a medium heat
- Ladle in some batter into the pan and swirl it in so it spreads evenly
- The pancake should begin to lift once it has cooked after a few minutes but keep prodding the edges with a spatula so you know when it’s safe to flip
Our toppings of choice today were:
- blueberries, strawberries & and half a teaspoon of golden syrup
- peanut butter, bananas, walnuts & a drizzle of golden syrup
Some other suggested toppings are almond flakes, granola, coconut shavings, dark chocolate shavings, yoghurt, agave syrup, and the list keeps going!
Shaleena & Roshni
What we’re listening to: Jack Johnson ‘Banana Pancakes’