If you are like me and have a massive sweet tooth, trying to lose weight without giving up everything you enjoy can seem impossible. I don’t believe in depriving myself - why give up when you can just substitute? My biggest weakness is chocolate, so this week I tried a few different recipes and now believe I have built a better, healthier brownie.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
(Recipe makes approx 10 brownies (8 inch pan)
Approx 169 calories per brownie
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 oz dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 almond milk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Chocolate chips or grated chocolate on top optional
1.Preheat oven to 165C & line 8 inch pan with foil or parchment paper & coat with cooking spray
2. In a food processor combine almonds, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate, baking soda and salt until ground. Gradually add in dates, almond milk, oil and vanilla extract until it becomes a paste.
3. Beat the egg whites until the mixture becomes foamy. Slowly fold a quarter of the almond mixture and gradually add in the rest. Add mixture to the pan and then add chocolate chips or grate chocolate on top.
The brownies should be ready in 30 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this healthier number!
Shaleena & Roshni
What we’re listening to: 'Sweet Emotion’ Aerosmith